6 May 2011

Making a Mess

For reasons I will get back to soon, I decided that tonight was THE night when I was going to experiment with some fibre-reactive dyes that I’ve had in my cupboard for a while, but never tried yet (Finnish-produced EMO Tuotanto). The dyed cloth has to batch until tomorrow, so all I can say for now is that I’m glad my kitchen rug is dark brown, and that I had enough foresight to wear old clothes. I tried to be ever so careful, but there was some splishing and splashing as I turned the cloth around in the dye bath. Splish – and I had decorated my trousers. Splash – and I had a top to match. The biggest surprise, however, was when I removed my protective gloves and discovered that, apparently, there is a hole on the index finger of the right hand glove.

 It’s a good thing that I love purple.


 My gloves are apparently too short.

 Oh, happy mess! Oh, happy weekend! Stay tuned for more to come…

3 comments:

  1. If I didn't make a mess dying, I would think something was wrong! I think it is the mad chemist in me that comes out when I am mixing and scrunching the fabrics. I look forward to seeing your yummy textiles.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jeannie! I'm not a very experienced dyer yet, so I don't quite know what to expect in terms of messiness. But your words are of great comfort to me. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Too funny (not!), your purple finger. Can't wait to see what you do with the fabric :)

    ReplyDelete