15 October 2011

You Can Tell It's Autumn...

... by the clicking of my knitting needles. In an earlier blog entry, I wrote that knitting is something I regress into when my energy levels are low. I also tend to knit more in the autumn, as the cold weather inspires warm accessories. I found a fun yarn in my stash and figured that a pair of socks would be a useful project for my recent train journeys to and from Ostrobothnia.

Socks in progress. Yarn: Nalle Marjaretki by Novita
This particular yarn is probably no longer available, 
so the closest equivalent would be Nalle Kukkaketo.


Creatively speaking, I haven't been up to much lately, as I've been both tired and away from home. But I have kept myself busy with a few small projects. Two weeks ago, I came up with an idea for a little jewellery pouch, and made 9 in one sitting. (They're really quick to make.) I'm planning to write instructions for them for this blog. They're made from organza, which gives them a luxurious feel, and since the fabric is transparent, you can easily see which piece of jewellery is in which pouch. They're great for necklaces, which easily get tangled up in the jewellery box.


Another project that I've been working on during train journeys and in front of the TV is the pillow cover that I blogged about here. By now I've finished all the embroidery and appliqué...


... and started beading it. I really like the way it is turning out.


And dreaming about my next visit to a warmer climate and the Home of the Boxfish, I've bought a book about snorkelling and free-diving. Inspired by Mrs Eider's and Mrs Merganser's Diving Schools for Ducklings, I've decided to teach myself some simple diving techniques. I'm definitely not planning to learn any advanced free-diving skills, as I'm happy just to be able to pop down under the surface for a few seconds to say hello to my finned friends. So far, however, I've just been practising holding my breath out of the water: on the bus (between bus stops) and walking (between lamp posts). It's quite exciting, and a little bit scary.

My drawing and paiting has been to a near standstill, but I did this doodle recently, inspired by my day-dreaming about diving and snorkelling. I've picked up a few tips along the way about Zen doodling and Zentangle, so I thought I'd give it a try. I've always done pretty boring and unimaginative doodles, so I decided that it's time I shook them up a bit and tried to doodle a bit more creatively. That way it's not just a doodle, but something that I actually might be able to use somewhere. And it's a lot more fun!

4 comments:

  1. I'm knitting a scarf for the times when I don't feel like thinking too hard. The embroidery work I'm doing right now is too "creative" and like drawing, takes a lot of attention and mental input. Love your doodle drawings, they are very creative and beautifully done. Did you make up the symbols or find them somewhere?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Cheryl! I found inspiration for some of the symbols in Sandy Steen Bartholomew's article 'Add Pattern to Journals with Zentangles and Transfers', which can be found in Cloth Paper Scissors Nov/Dec 2009, and in one of the e-booklets that can be downloaded for free if you're registered with CPS: 'Artist Journaling Techniques: 5 Ways to Use Mixed Media and Collage'. The rest are just inspired by thinking about the sea. I found it very helpful to choose a theme for the doodle. I didn't choose the theme right from the beginning, though: that's why there's a funny-looking pineapple to the upper right. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had a vision of Franka popping her head below the sea along with the ducklings. (giggle)As the season changes so does what occupies my hands. Knitting needles, wool felt, and dreams of snow covered hills. Wishing you a beautiful week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Jeannie: I hope you have a great week too! I just went to the yarn shop today and got some red yarn for a pair of fabulous socks from the book 'Around the World in Knitted Socks'. I'm really looking forward to getting started on them.

    ReplyDelete