5 August 2012

Custom-Made Dream Journal

Ooh, time flies. Where does it go, I wonder? It seems I have so much to do at the moment, and by evening I've only done a fraction of it. I've had a very long vacation this summer, and I feel it's about time I got back to work. It's only a few weeks now until the first two classes I'm going to teach will start (the children's classes). Well, tomorrow's Monday again. The best day to start a new life, and to pick up old routines. I do need to get back to my routines. No more staying up all night and sleeping away half of the morning. Discipline!

Right now I'm participating in another one of Melanie Testa's online workshops at the Clever Guild: Dream journal (you can still sign up!). You can find some images of what I've done so far (not much, as usual) in my Flickr photostream. This workshop explores different techniques that you can use in your sketchbook or visual journal. And since I can't find the kind of sketchbook I want in the shop, I have custom-made my own sketchbook. A page in this book is only 15 x 15 cm (6 x 6 inches), which is a nice little format to work with if you're like me and easily get performation anxiety or fear of the Huge White Page. I can choose to work on a small single page, or on the 30 cm spread. I used smooth hot press watercolour paper (300 gsm/140 lb) for the pages, and cardboard for the covers. I covered the cardboard with my own breakdown printed fabric. Fun!


The signatures are sewn together, and the covers are also sewn onto the signatures. I used a technique I haven't tried before and which I learned from Laura Kemshall in an episode of DMTV. Before this book I've tried Japanese stab-binding, small pamphlets and the thirty minute multiple-pamphlet journal taught by Gwen Diehn in her book The Decorated Journal (follow the links for a look at the books/pamphlets in question). This binding method was both fun and easy, and here's the result;


I was a bit hesitant whether this kind of structure would work for a watercolour sketchbook, but figured that I'd just try it out to see what would happen. As you can see below, there is a gap between the signatures that can be problematic with watery paint.


However, I've decided that I'm not going to be bothered about it. If I want to lay a wash over a spread with a gap, I can always tape the gap or glue a piece of paper over it. Things are only a problem if you make them a problem.

Isn't this a beautiful binding method? I love the loops that form over the spine and the exposed signatures.



Now that I have the book, it's time to start filling it. This week's assignment for Melanie's workshop is to make 10 starts, that is to do something - anything - to 10 pages somewhere - anywhere - in the journal. Sounds like fun!

Thanks for reading, and see you again soon! - Annika

8 comments:

  1. I love it! That breakdown printed fabric is super, and I agree, the signature sewing is so elegant. Have fun filling it up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used Laura's technique on some gifts a few years ago and really liked it. The crochet like stitch looks so pretty.Your fabric covers are gorgeous! I think I know what I'll be doing this afternoon! LOL! And, my starts, of course. I am so loving the Dream Journal class. Have a wonderful week. (I too stay up til the wee hours. I wish I was a morning person.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jeannie! I've been having trouble getting started with the starts, but now that I have my little book, I hope I'll be inspired to go for it. There's just so much to do and so very few hours in the day. The Finnish summer is also so very short, and this one has been pretty dismal, so now that we've had a sunny spell I've been trying to bake myself a little too, to recharge my cells for darker days to come. A wonderful week to you too!

      Delete
  3. Vilken fin sketch bok du gjort! Den är ju ett konstverk i sej själv. Have fun med den! :)
    Gunborg

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tack ska du ha! Jo, jag ska försöka använda den och inte bara sitta och panta på den, som så lätt händer i sådana här fall, när man inte nänns börja använda en sak. ;-)

      Delete
  4. Your fabric cover is gorgeous, the stitching is top notch and I am sure you will fill it with fabulous imagery. You have really been working hard and stretching and I am happy for you.
    I think we are on a similar path, I now want a dress form too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Melly: your words mean a lot to me! So, there seems to be both synchronicity and causality in both directions between us at the moment. I like that! Vibes bouncing back and forth across the Atlantic.

      Delete